How Long Does LASIK Last?

Nov 10, 2021

If you are curious about the benefits of LASIK, you may have come across those online who claim that the effects of their procedure wore off over time. No part of the human body stays the same during our lifetime, and the eyes are no different. However, there are many misconceptions about this long-lasting procedure! Read on to learn more about LASIK.

What happens during LASIK

LASIKwhich stands for laser-assisted in situ keratomileusisis a safe, effective laser eye surgery that treats refractive errors such as myopia, hyperopia, or astigmatism. To correct refractive errors, LASIK removes tissue to reshape the cornea. During surgery, Dr. Beran or Dr. Weber will create a flap in your cornea, reshape the tissue beneath it, and replace the flap. The results are normally long-lasting, and the recovery is generally mild and quick.

Why vision could change

LASIK is a long-lasting procedure, and its benefits are well-documented over time. However, there are several instances when vision may change:

  • Partially repaired cornea: LASIK causes a permanent alteration in the shape of the cornea, and approximately 95% of LASIK patients will not need another LASIK procedure. The other 5% may require an enhancement to compensate for corneas that partially repair these changes.
  • Unstable prescription: If your refractive error was going to change naturally, then it will change regardless of your LASIK procedure, which may impact your prescription. This is one of the reasons why LASIK is best for patients with a stable prescription. An expert, like Dr. Beran or Dr. Weber, can help you determine if you are a good candidate for LASIK before opting for treatment.
  • Age-related changes: For most of those who are experiencing vision changes, changes in the natural lens inside the eye are responsible. The lens undergoes several aging processes, which can alter vision. As patients reach middle age, their vision may begin to change. Presbyopia can make it difficult to focus on nearby objects and is why many adults require reading glasses as they age into their 40s, 50s, and beyond. At some point, patients may also require surgery for dysfunctional lens syndrome, better known as cataracts. Cataracts cause several symptoms, including blurry, dull, and less vibrant vision.

Is LASIK right for you? Contact our team

While vision changes may occur even after undergoing LASIK surgery, they are not a result of LASIK wearing off. Our Columbus Laser & Cataract Center team is happy to answer any questions you may have about LASIK or refractive error surgery. If you are ready for better vision, call our experts today to book an appointment and see if you are a good candidate. We can’t wait to help you enjoy the beauty of sight!